Adnan’s professional life has been devoted to the treatment of blinding disorders of the retina. His research has led to a better understanding of the causes and treatments of the most common of these disorders – age-related macular degeneration and diabetic retinopathy. Surgically he specialises in cataract surgery in patients with retinal disorders. He is the clinical and research lead at Moorfields Eye Hospital in London for age-related macular degeneration (AMD).
Since 2003, Adnan has been a Consultant Ophthalmologist at Moorfields Eye Hospital NHS Foundation Trust and was awarded the title of Professor at The Institute of Ophthalmology, UCL (University College London) in recognition of his contribution to eye research. Moorfields is one of the leading eye hospitals in the world and as a senior consultant in the medical retina department, he has critical experience in the diagnosis and management of rare retinal conditions and disorders on the complex interface between inflammatory eye disease (uveitis) and medical retina. Cataract surgery for people with retinal conditions is more complicated, particularly their pre- and post-operative care. Adnan is one of the leading surgeons in the UK with an interest in cataract surgery in patients with co-existing retinal disorders.
Adnan was the lead clinician scientist for clinical trials to treat choroidal neovascularisation, including the seminal ABC Trial that focused on examining bevacizumab for neovascular AMD and the REPAIR trial for myopia related neovascularisation. Both studies had a profound effect on eyecare in the UK and internationally. His current research interests are wide ranging from disease mechanisms and treatment discovery e.g. dry age-related macular degeneration, currently an untreatable condition, to using artificial intelligence systems to improve patient access to retinal care and creating safe data sharing so that physicians can pool their patient experience to improve eye care in the NHS. He is also Deputy Lead of the large 16 million euro multicentre European study of dry age-related macular degeneration MACUSTAR – you can find out more info here about this important research.
In addition to his NHS and University posts, Professor Tufail is available to see private patients at Moorfields Eye Hospital Private Clinic, The London Claremont Clinic or the London Medical Clinic, Marylebone. You can book an appointment or get more information here.
Further details of Professor Tufail’s career and training is in the table below
- General Medical Training: Guys Hospital Medical School, University of London
- Ophthalmology training: Moorfields/North Thames Rotation
- Ophthalmology subspecialisation/Fellowships in 1) Uveitis –(96-98) Jules Stein Eye Institute UCLA, Los Angeles , 2) Medical retina 2000-2002, Moorfields Eye Hospital 3) Medical Retina 2003, Vanderbilt Eye Institute, Nashville.
- National Bronze Merit Award (Clinical Excellence Awards are awarded within the English National Health Service consultants and academic GPs who perform 'over and above' the standard expected of their role. Read more here
- Popular and respected national and international lecturer on macular degeneration, diabetic eye and retinal vascular disease, retinal imaging, myopic maculopathy, complex and rare retinal disease.
- Adnan was voted by his peers as one of the top 10 most influential ophthalmologists in the world in this Ophthalmologist Power List article.
- 240 published scientific articles, book chapters and videos.
- Fellow of the Royal College of Ophthalmologists
- Member of The American Society of Retina Specialists
- Member of the European Vision Institute Retina Panel
- Consultant Ophthalmologist Moorfields Eye Hospital
- Professor of Ophthalmology, at The Institute of Ophthalmology, University College London
- NIHR Theme Lead for Translational Research in Age-related Macular Degeneration
You can contact his London private practices here for more information about your vision care.